Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site
The Polyphonics OFFICIAL Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New CD Recording Progress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NyQuil Driver
The MADministrator!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: New CD Recording Progress Reply with quote

Hey all, I'll use this thread to update you with the progress on the new CD.

Well first off, almost all the drum tracks are done. Patrick did these at the beginning of January, of course he's back at school now, so we'll have to wait until he has a weekend free to finish up these tracks.

Sun 1/12: about 4 hours of time in the studio

We did a lot, we completed the bass and guitar tracks on Looking for Edith, Going Sideways, and My Deal with O'Neill. These tracks may need some touch-ups to get everything at the level of quality we're looking for, but the songs are starting to take shape. Attempted to get something going on Counting the Days also, but it was getting late and we were tired, so after about 5 takes without success we just called it a day. Really quite a productive day, helped to get us motivated to keep it going.

Mon 1/13: 2-1/2 Hours

Started where we left off yesterday, on Counting the Days. We had a rough go on this song, there always seems to be one track each time you record that every aspect goes bad. This song is it for this album... at least I hope it is, because if it gets any more frustrating than this song I'll cry. First we start with Jon doing his guitar track and me doing my bass track at the same time over the drums, well after about 4 times of that I finally have a bass track I feel good with, however we decide the bass should fade out, instead of ring out, in the quite verses, so I have to redo it. We go get our floor pedals to smoothly fade out the volume and by this time you can't walk anywhere. The floor is a covered in cables. Another 3 takes of Jon and I. Third take, and again, I'm happy with the bass track. Jon is still trying to get the perfect sound, for another 4 takes or so. Thing are looking good.... nearing the end of the song!!.... all is well so fa - - and a string breaks. Woe is us, Jon tries it another few times with Jeff's two Gibsons and has a pretty good take, good enough for now, we'll come back and redo it if we need to, later though, because we're really getting sick of this song. Jeff lines up to do his distorted guitar track, and there's some funky buzzing going on. We're fiddling with all the adjustments, and a different guitar, trying to get rid of the buzzing, this goes on for like 15 minutes and we can't isolate it. It's not about 11:15 and we all have to work tomorrow morning, so we say the hell with it and call it a day. So to recap; 2.5 hours and we got a bass track and a guitar track that may have to be redone. I hate Counting the Days now.

Feel free to comment or ask questions and stuff. I'll keep adding to this thread as recording progresses, or regresses because Jeff's cat ate the tape, a fire started that was isolated in the recording studio, or possibly killer ninjas that breath fire and shoot laser beams out of their eyes decide to rob our equipment.

NyQ

Sic Transit Gloria - Glory Fades - I'm Max Fischer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
poncho524
ADMIN OF DOOM!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New CD Recording Progress Reply with quote

NyQuil Driver wrote:
... or possibly killer ninjas that breath fire and shoot laser beams out of their eyes decide to rob our equipment.

man, i HATE it when they do that!!!
Jephonics
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I write this I am barricaded in the secret headquarters and nerve center of the P.O.W.(Polyphonic Organization of the World). The ninjas and fire breathing earthworms have kept me captive for 37 hours now. I have no other option than to work on the tracks for the next Polyphonics release.

So far here is what we have done: All music on Bossa Nova, Not Who I Am, Going sideways, My Deal With O'neill, Looking for Edith, and Counting the Days. No vocals yet though. So far so good.

Gotta go they are getting in ahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Squish, Pop, Stab, Snikt, Squirt, Plop........)
NyQuil Driver
The MADministrator!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jephonics wrote:
Snikt,

Whoa... wolverine is holding you captive? That rules.

NyQ

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jephonics
PolyGroupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was a ninja unsheathing a sword...not wolverine. But I admire your attention to details.
NyQuil Driver
The MADministrator!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/20 and 1/21

Music is now done for After the War. Also found a better way to record the bass, so it sounds fuller then on the first CD. So we went back and fixed this on all of the other tracks. We're waiting for an amp to be repaired before we start again. Using an amp will give us more of a live, grungy sound, which is exactly what we want for the next track we're going to do; O Caroline. That's about it, everything is going pretty smoothly so far.

NyQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Polyphonics OFFICIAL Site Forum Index -> Band Stuff All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: